News, views & chat from the people of West London
Hillingdon, 
London Borough, News, Pictures, Chat
truth
MAIN INDEX | PHOTOS | HAYES | UXBRIDGE
+ + Check out the LATEST photos! + + JOIN THE DEBATES + + IT'S GOOD TO TALK! + +
WELCOME

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:50 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:37 am 

My main room, due to a design issue, only has a single central fitment, which for a 28' room is pathetic.

As a result I've been running 150w bulbs for over 30 years. (I've still got 4 in stock from when I knew they were being discontinued). We don't use it at full blast as it's on a dimmer. Just nice to be able to turn it up when needed.

The latest bulbs are either 'yellow slow starting' energy savers or max equivalent 75w LED's. Plus the majority aren't dimmable, especially with the remote control dimmers. You need a bespoke dimmer where you need to go to the switch.

Same in the bedrooms. We don't want bedside lamps so we have a bedside remote control. We would like to get a simple non dimmable/dimmable, not fussed which, remote to run with a LED bulb but you can't get them.

Progress eh !

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:18 pm 

I've noticed that filament bulbs are now available again, at a price of £1 for a 100 Watt bulb in a local to me hardware store. Only they are now described as 'industrial' bulbs, still the same bayonet fitting and appearance as the ones we were told would be no longer available for domestic use.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:57 pm 

You can get them in cheapo shops but the quality will be dubious.

When they announced their demise, many years ago, I got stocked up because I knew dimmable would be an issue.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:24 am 

I have to say, some of the stuff you can buy - and do - with LEDs these days is FANTASTIC. Fitted strips of LEDs in our glass display cabinets and they're brilliant. Can choose any colour we like or have them cycling through colours! So easy to do.