News, views & chat from the people of West London
Hillingdon, 
London Borough, News, Pictures, Chat
truth
MAIN INDEX | PHOTOS | HAYES | UXBRIDGE
+ + Check out the LATEST photos! + + JOIN THE DEBATES + + IT'S GOOD TO TALK! + +
WELCOME

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:26 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Pensions...
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:46 pm 

I was only joking :D

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:24 am 

Unfortunately, those against us not joking. The elderly are presented by government to the younger generation as the cause of all the problems today.We are the reason why the younger generation can't find work, can't afford to buy a home, can't look forward to retirement or afford a pension. We are the reason the Leave vote won the referendum, etc. etc.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:40 am 

I agree.

The young don't understand that the EU are slowly but surely taking over and we are paying them £billions for the 'privilege'. These £billions are going to countries that have no financial plans in place because they are living on handouts from the responsible countries.

Years ago the young who left school early had to go out and get any job they could. Not these days, they turn their nose up and live off benefits.

I'm glad Universal Credit isn't as generous. This trend needs to continue to a point where the 'professionally unemployed' can't afford anything other than being able to exist.

What's happening now though is that UC is being paid to the person who is spending it on luxuries with rent coming last and they moan when evicted. They should be paid in vouchers, not cash or credit.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:49 pm 

What appears to be a political and social problem is actually one of a spiritual nature. After WWII a shift away from belief in the Creator God of the Bible began in earnest, in favour of dependence upon men. The process has continued at pace, now the the State has taken the place of the God of the Bible; with the willing acceptance and encouragement of the people. Every aspect of life today is under the direct control of the State, while the God of the Bible is openly despised, even legislated against.

During my schooldays, 1946 to 1957 there was a general acceptance and belief in God. We even had a Christian-based assembly at the beginning of each school day consisting of Bible readings, hymns and prayers, with prayers at the end of the school day before leaving for home. I did NOT attend Church schools, I went to State primary and Secondary schools. Every child was expected to have their own copy of the Ancient and Modern Hymn book as part of their school bag. Imagine such practices in today's State schools; there would be angry public demonstrations demanding FREEDOM.

The shift from reliance upon the God of the Bible, to reliance upon the State began slowly and imperceptibly at first. During the 1960s the general rebellion really took off, with a lot of support from the pop music world. It became fashionable to mock God and the Bible in a lot of TV programmes. The days of Mary Whitehouse’s stand against corrupting TV and the media saw open mockery take on a dynamic of its own.

With the open mockery against the God of the Bible came the State’s increasing role as supreme provider; which encouraged the general decline in morality. Then we were on a spiritual helter-skelter of morality reversal and the crowning of the State as god.

Today, every essential to modern life is now seen as a “right” that the State will provide – at the cost of those who work for their living, a state of affairs that is a diametric contrast to Bible teaching. “He that will not work shall not eat”. The very word “work” has become anathema to many today. Work-life-balance is the new cry, even for those who do work for their living. With the emphasis being on a life that is dominated by entertainment, self expression and playtime, with sex, any sex, being the ultimate self-expression.

Today, chaos and lawlessness characterises every part of society from top to bottom. From the State Church, to Parliament, the Crown, the military, education, health, to the the family unit, confusion and insanity is everywhere. Evil is the new good, and good is the new evil.

I listened to part of Prime Minister’s Question Time yesterday (19-12-18). I had to switch off because the whole display was outrageous. The nation is supposedly seeking the correct direction of travel from our political leaders and representatives; the performance was similar to that of a nursery party that had gone horribly wrong. The children’s primary interest was that of throwing meaningless insults at one another – and they are getting paid very good money for behaving a rebellious children.

My assessment is; if this nation is not already under God’s judgement (I believe it is), then judgement must be imminent. Certainly, without God’s intervention, there is no way that this nation can ever begin to improve itself, we have gone too far down the road of open rebellion. Too few of those in positions of power and authority even know what is right any more, how can they possibly introduce corrective policies?

The young of today are like abused sheep who have no leaders capable of direction. They are rudderless, fearful, confused, where hopelessness abounds. It is small wonder that they take to drugs to hide their desperate condition. Our leaders are greedy self-obsessed law-breakers who are setting a terrible example to the young. It is no surprise that general lawlessness has broken out.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:25 pm 

My impression is that the MP's 'must' know or realise what being in the EU really means.

Why they want to eventually lose their or future MP's jobs when Brussels takes over complete control beats me.

There must be some short term gains for them.

The one MP I've been very impressed with is IDS. I wasn't sure when he was leader but he's gone right up in my book.

I won't mention religion because I've never been that religious. I think being forced to go to Sunday School, then Church when I was older but still at school, every Sunday. Then Boys Brigade 2 evenings a week, just, I imagine, to give them some peace from me. Once I was able to opt out I did.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:28 pm 

I agree about IDS. He has stood out from the crowd recently. As for all the others, none of them have a clue; even the Mog has turned tail and fallen in behind May.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:11 pm 

Re the pension, my current thinking is to take all the money out and invest it in a drawdown pension. There seem to be some distinct advantages along with, of course, some risks.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:27 pm 

Having first retired at 64 after 30 years of being self employed with a good garage business, I found it great at first but after only a few months found it quite different I had got used to getting up knowing I had a very busy day ahead, I used to leave for work at 0700 and get home at 1830 now it was getting up and thinking how to fill my day, my wife was still working in the civil service and wasn't due to retire for another year and then get her final salary pension, I went and got a job running a garage, my wife said I would not last one day after being self employed for so long, I done this for the next 2 years but in the last one I cut my working week over the next year From 5 days a week to one day a week for the last 6 weeks I then found I was ready to retire.

My wife once she retired like me found it difficult to get off the treadmill, we now enjoy our retirement doing some sports, caravanning etc what we have found we spend much more money just doing day to day things, our utility bills have doubled in the winter where we would be at work every day we are now at home hence the extra cost, we are lucky we both have good pensions etc
my advice to anyone who is retiring and getting lumps of money they never had before just take a moment to think about what they spend, even if you have good pensions unless you are very lucky it's not as much as you had coming in every week/month and you outgoing will increase quite a lot.

But even after all this there is one thing you must do ENJOY YOUR RETIREMENT you only have one life and the one you have isn't a practice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:13 am 

I'm very fortunate in that my final salary pension + state pension - commuting costs puts me very close to my old salary of 5 years ago, which is more than I really need and I'm still saving whilst not cutting back.

You do need to find something to do, especially in Winter when the temptation to stay in and put on weight is real.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:25 pm 

I'll never run out of things to do!! Went the dawdown route...I (or my beneficiaries!) will let you know in 30 years if I did the right thing!