News, views & chat from the people of West London
Hillingdon, 
London Borough, News, Pictures, Chat
truth
MAIN INDEX | PHOTOS | HAYES | UXBRIDGE
+ + Check out the LATEST photos! + + JOIN THE DEBATES + + IT'S GOOD TO TALK! + +
WELCOME

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:10 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Nestle Factory Hayes
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:24 pm 

Is to close in 2014. Loss of 230 (local) jobs..... :cry:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/9018534/Nestle-to-close-Hayes-coffee-factory-in-streamlining.html

Quote:
Nestlé has unveiled plans to consolidate its coffee manufacturing operations in the UK with the closure of its factory in Middlesex at the cost of 230 jobs and the expansion of its Nescafé site in Derbyshire.

Another Hayes Icon bites the dust......

Quote:
Production at Hayes will transfer to Tutbury, with the Middlesex site closing in 2014. The company said it was "not feasible to redevelop the Hayes site to create the manufacturing facility Nestlé UK needs for the future."

Lets hope the 'inflexibility' of the local authority and a refusal to allow planning has not caused this?

Post subject: Re: Nestle Factory Hayes
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:32 pm 

Image Have to go back to the weather forecast if Nestles goes

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:29 pm 

It would be sad to see the Nestles factory (none of this French sounding....) be bulldozed and replaced with flats & houses without any character or community, mirroring the 'new' Hayes Gateway by the station. Ever since I was a kid, the smell of coffee, as told by my parents, meant rain was in the air. I also remember a couple of time when some kind of filter problem meant that the local street were covered in a brown soot, which was the waste product of the coffee grinding - on one occasion my dad had to clean the car before going to the my nans house, that was the first time I heard my dad swear and he apologised but I had to promise not to tell my mum.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:02 am 

ARTFTE wrote:
Image Have to go back to the weather forecast if Nestles goes

This one perhaps ??

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17

Seriously though, its another nail in the coffin for this borough and the job losses a devastating blow to those affected. :(

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:34 am 

I worked there 1959 - 1965 and my family worked there since before the war.
(I like the pods)
:)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:50 am 

I wonder if the workforce will accept the alleged offer of continued work if they move to Derbyshire ?

TBH if I got the offer to move to Derbyshire with ongoing employment I'd be off like a shot.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:15 am 

TUPE (Transfer of Undertaking Protection of Employment) will most certainly apply. Nestle in line with the law will have to offer ongoing employment on existing terms and conditions to those employees who can or wish to move.

The sticking points in these scenarios come when there is no re-location package offered, as there is no legal requirement to do so. Partners may be in other work, children may be settled in schools etc.

Some will be able to go easily others will not...Other pitfalls like trying to sell your house and buy another within a tight timescale will also apply. Whilst these regulations places an onus on employers to consider carefully plans to move (by giving the employees the right to enduring employment) practicality means few ever take it up.

TUPE rules were last altered in 2007, we all know which colour government was in power at that time and whilst sections of the act were strengthened business lobbying Government meant no provision was placed within the legislation to facilitate compulsory assistance in re-location expenses.
If a firm wants to move it's management structure it will offer all sorts of incentives to allow that as is proven. If the chaps on the warehouse floor want to move then they pretty much have to fend (and pay for the move) themselves.

Yet another example of where the Government of the day looked to improve the working man's lot but were got at by big business. No doubt a few ex Labour ministers are enjoying a directorship or two off the back of this.

This essentially has become a big problem particularly for parts of London, many firms are looking to re-locate outside of the capital where wage bills are much lower. The single market and opening of the borders to the Eastern Bloc means a ready supply of labour is available to work at much lower rates and no doubt this is a major factor in Nestle's move.

http://www.idea.gov.uk/idk/core/page.do?pageId=6908271

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:33 pm 

This is so so sad. The last connection with the industrial glory days of Hayes.