News, views & chat from the people of West London
Hillingdon, 
London Borough, News, Pictures, Chat
truth
MAIN INDEX | PHOTOS | HAYES | UXBRIDGE
+ + Check out the LATEST photos! + + JOIN THE DEBATES + + IT'S GOOD TO TALK! + +
WELCOME

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:58 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:56 pm 

Personally I would rather do the E6, U4 than struggle trying to park and then suffer the dent's as the selfish mob park too close.

Plus the fares cost is roughly what the parking costs.

Why some people use their car at the start of visiting time beats me as the queue is often way down Pield Heath Road.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:08 pm 

Kremmen wrote:
Personally I would rather do the E6, U4 than struggle trying to park and then suffer the dent's as the selfish mob park too close.

Dont even get me started on the size of parking bays, because thats another bugbear of mine. They all seem to be designed for 'Smart' cars.

Back to hospital parking though, here is a link to the Which article :

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2010/ju ... ng-charges

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:13 pm 

Perhaps this is the answer ?!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/ar ... ooter.html

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:32 pm 

lol @ the link above. Some of my customers could do with the 8 wheel scooter to get over kerbs and potholes :lol:

I agree the parking at Hillingdon is really bad and have to be a skinny mini to slide out of your car door without hitting another car.

I think they will have to (but probably wont) reevaluate the car park the queues of going in and out are quite bad, the layout isnt great, and the pricing can get rather high unless your in and out asap.

A multi-story car park with lifts close to the hospital building would be an idea. Close enough that it doesnt stick out like a sore thumb for local residents maybe around the back part. But of course these things dont build themselves for nothing. Though can create jobs.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:38 pm 

I've actually wondered how many of the cars belong to people who are actually on hospital business.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:39 pm 

I just thought I would post an update, as I had two appointments at Mt Vernon today.

The first was with the physio department at 11.30am. The timing of that appt was deliberately chosen to tie in nicely with a longstanding consultants appt at the next door Outpatients department for 12.00 midday. Even so its not uncommon for consultant appts to run an hour or two late, so I made sure I had the correct change to pay the £5.00 parking fee. ( 2-12 hours ).

I struck lucky. As I was about to feed my fiver into the gaping mouth of the parking machine, a kind hearted citizen who was on his way out asked if I wanted his ticket. he bought the ticket at 9.03am, and because like me he was unsure how long he would be there, he paid the ridiculous 'up to 12 hour fee ' This was at 11.15am. I thanked him profusely and offered him a couple of quid towards the fee he had already paid. He declined, bless him. So I now have a ticket which runs until 9.03pm.

Incredibly, and I will say why later in this post, I am on my way back to my car by 1.15pm. Hence I could have 'gotten away with' just paying for up to 2 hours parking, but had no way of knowing that at the time so would have paid £5.00 to be on the safe side.

As I returned to my car I spot an elderly lady who is about to feed £5.00 into the ticket machine. I offer her the ticket I have, which still has almost 8 hours to run. She thanks me profusely, and offers me a couple of quid towards it which I naturally decline. Now lets suppose that ladies appointment lasts, say.....2 to 3 hours, and she also encounters someone one her way out and does the same thing, the ticket still has almost 5 to 6 hours valid time on it. Its not beyond the realms of possibility that the ticket could be passed on to a 5th person before the 12 hours expires.

Had we not taken it upon ourselves to help out fellow patients, the company that runs this scam on behalf of Mt Vernon Hospital would have collected a further £20 for what amounts to one parking bay. I would emphasise the car park was far from full at any time, so none of us were depriving other patients of a parking space. The staff are disgusted about it ( and indeed one of those I saw said they had recently been fined £35 ), the patients are being 'taxed' in a grossly unfair way, and the whole thing stinks.

Now on a positive note. I was was VERY impressed by the efficiency, professionalism and friendliness of the staff at Mt Vernon.

My physio appt was 11.30am. I was then led down to the Outpatients Dept at 11.45am for my 12 midday Consultant appt. Within minutes I was told I would need an x-ray, and that was completed by 12.01pm. Back to Outpatients where I was seen by my consultant 20 minutes later, x-ray already on his screen, and told I need an ECG and pre- assesment in preparation for an Epidural.

ECG and pre-assesment done, I was leaving the hospital less than 2 hours after I entered it, and am told my epidural should be within 7 -10 days. I have justifiable cause for complaint about the NHS in the past, but cannot praise the staff at Mt Vernon, and the NHS enough on this performance today.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:09 pm 

strange thing is , there are residents parking bays in the side roads , with knowone in them .

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:35 pm 

^^ Not around Mount Vernon there aren't ?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:53 pm 

sorry hillingdon
but i know Mount Vernon , used to go to the hospice there , when my wife was in there
as the transport , did not turn up on time to take her , but if i rang and said , i could that day , they said if you dont let us take her all the time , the transport will be canncelled for good ??? , but if she waited for if she missed her appointment
doctors got clamped , on call outs
but you could get a token for a £1 if you were visiting ??? or for treatment ??
know one would park there to go shopping etc its just a money maker , greed greed greed

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:41 am 

Moley wrote:
I just thought I would post an update, as I had two appointments at Mt Vernon today.

The first was with the physio department at 11.30am. The timing of that appt was deliberately chosen to tie in nicely with a longstanding consultants appt at the next door Outpatients department for 12.00 midday. Even so its not uncommon for consultant appts to run an hour or two late, so I made sure I had the correct change to pay the £5.00 parking fee. ( 2-12 hours ).

I struck lucky. As I was about to feed my fiver into the gaping mouth of the parking machine, a kind hearted citizen who was on his way out asked if I wanted his ticket. he bought the ticket at 9.03am, and because like me he was unsure how long he would be there, he paid the ridiculous 'up to 12 hour fee ' This was at 11.15am. I thanked him profusely and offered him a couple of quid towards the fee he had already paid. He declined, bless him. So I now have a ticket which runs until 9.03pm.

Incredibly, and I will say why later in this post, I am on my way back to my car by 1.15pm. Hence I could have 'gotten away with' just paying for up to 2 hours parking, but had no way of knowing that at the time so would have paid £5.00 to be on the safe side.

As I returned to my car I spot an elderly lady who is about to feed £5.00 into the ticket machine. I offer her the ticket I have, which still has almost 8 hours to run. She thanks me profusely, and offers me a couple of quid towards it which I naturally decline. Now lets suppose that ladies appointment lasts, say.....2 to 3 hours, and she also encounters someone one her way out and does the same thing, the ticket still has almost 5 to 6 hours valid time on it. Its not beyond the realms of possibility that the ticket could be passed on to a 5th person before the 12 hours expires.

Had we not taken it upon ourselves to help out fellow patients, the company that runs this scam on behalf of Mt Vernon Hospital would have collected a further £20 for what amounts to one parking bay. I would emphasise the car park was far from full at any time, so none of us were depriving other patients of a parking space. The staff are disgusted about it ( and indeed one of those I saw said they had recently been fined £35 ), the patients are being 'taxed' in a grossly unfair way, and the whole thing stinks.

Now on a positive note. I was was VERY impressed by the efficiency, professionalism and friendliness of the staff at Mt Vernon.

My physio appt was 11.30am. I was then led down to the Outpatients Dept at 11.45am for my 12 midday Consultant appt. Within minutes I was told I would need an x-ray, and that was completed by 12.01pm. Back to Outpatients where I was seen by my consultant 20 minutes later, x-ray already on his screen, and told I need an ECG and pre- assesment in preparation for an Epidural.

ECG and pre-assesment done, I was leaving the hospital less than 2 hours after I entered it, and am told my epidural should be within 7 -10 days. I have justifiable cause for complaint about the NHS in the past, but cannot praise the staff at Mt Vernon, and the NHS enough on this performance today.

This sounds just like what I go through with the wife's appointments (usually in Blue Room 6). The only advantage we have is that she has a blue badge. That has saved us quite a few £'s. In the past though I've also offered unexpired tickets to others on the same money grabbing basis.

I have used the blue badge at both Hillingdon and Mount Vernon for her appointments and she normally tells me to stay in the car and behave myself. As a result I see others parking in disabled bays without a valid badge and I've also seen parking attendant's walk idly by without even checking the dashboards. The area by the Hillingdon main reception, not the 20 mins bays, is rife for non display of badges, or it is when I'm there.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next