News, views & chat from the people of West London
Hillingdon, 
London Borough, News, Pictures, Chat
truth
MAIN INDEX | PHOTOS | HAYES | UXBRIDGE
+ + Check out the LATEST photos! + + JOIN THE DEBATES + + IT'S GOOD TO TALK! + +
WELCOME

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:51 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Tubes
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:44 pm 

Public transport cannot be relied on. I had a ticket to travel from Euston to Manchester yesterday on the 8.40 train. I arrived at Northolt Station at 7.25 (the journey takes 40 mins) and the first train was due in 3 minutes. Then an announcement comes over the tannoy that all services have been suspended as their is a "points failure" and they suggest we get a bus to South Harrow station. So I go back out of the station and wait for a 140. First one comes and there are so many people at the stop I can't get on. Next bus is not for 20 minutes! As a result I arrive at Euston at 8.42 and have to pay another 74.00 for a ticket on a later train.

And to rub it in even more they even charged me for entering and leaving Northolt Station!! :evil:

Post subject: Re: Tubes
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:18 pm 

I would have left at 6.40 latest , i always allow for at least an hours delay
and would , and always do like to get to the station in London at least an hour before , its due out
The same when i am driving , i have to be in Dorchester tomorrow at 9am , so i will leave home at 5 am to 5.30am latest
I live in Northwood and it should take 2.5 hours to 3 hours , so i hope to be there an hour early with luck
Its the way it is now , you have to allow for the unknown , and i hate being and feeling rushed .
And when i fly , if it says be there 2 hour before , i make it 3 ,to check in , in the terminal , never missed a flight yet

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:33 pm 

What a nightmare Lindsay!!! And you should have had a refund from Northolt Station. I take it you were suffering for football?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:54 pm 

I was, at least they won. I may be going again on the 11th Feb (if I can get a ticket). Maybe I should leave early enough to walk to Euston, at least that way I would get there :D ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:33 am 

having not had to use public transport for some time I had, A) forgotten how bad it was and, B) how expensive it has become.

Recently had to travel to Euston and Whitechapel. What a nightmare. My Boss wants me to take on a position based at Whitechaplel on a six year contract....
Simply put. I said NO.....I could not see myself travelling to Whitechapel by Bus / Tube every day for that amount of time. and the cost of £15.80 a day....cheaper to take the car or bike but for the fact there is no parking. :evil:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:06 am 

£15.80 a day ?

I thought there was an Oyster Card cap. I often have to travel from Hayes to Wood Green and back, I use bus and tube and the last time I did that journey, in the peak, my card was deducted about £8 and something. That was before the January rise though.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:39 pm 

I think the 8.00 cap only applies if you travel off peak.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:50 pm 

Last time I went I set off at 06:00 by bus and got to WG circa 07:40 so that was definitely in the peak.

My return journey was from about 15:00 to 16:30.

I got deducted, I think it was £8.40.

E6, Central Line, Victoria Line, Piccadilly Line (and guess what the return journey was ) :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:27 pm 

Presumably the original ticket you had had restrictions upon it and was for that one train?

Surely if the delay was out of your control then that ticket should have been valid on a later service. Granted you don't get your reserved seat but there is always (at least) one carriage with unreserved seats. It pays to ask the ticket guard on the platform which carriage(s) have the unreserved seats and head straight for it.

This has happened to me on a couple of occasions on the same route and Euston to Preston. I always explain to the guard the reasons I am not on the train specified and has never seemed to be a problem. The transport operators do have a duty of care (under the terms of you purchasing your ticket) to provide the connections to ensure you catch the correct trains.

I was in Euston on one occasion watching the departure board and Virgin cancelled the next 3 trains to Manchester (all were due to depart within about 90 minutes) one of these was mine where I had a very cheap saver ticket. Of course there was a mad rush for the next one (about 2 hours later) where they unreserved all the seats. The ticket chap on the train never said a word when I presented my ticket.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:03 am 

Well, tfl ignored my complaint even though I sent it 3 times. So I contacted travelwatch, who can intervene in unresolved disputes.

I got an e-mail yesterday from travelwatch, tfl have agreed to a goodwill payment to cover the cost of my extra ticket. :o :D