News, views & chat from the people of West London
Hillingdon, 
London Borough, News, Pictures, Chat
truth
MAIN INDEX | PHOTOS | HAYES | UXBRIDGE
+ + Check out the LATEST photos! + + JOIN THE DEBATES + + IT'S GOOD TO TALK! + +
WELCOME

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:20 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Driverless Tubes
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:45 pm 

I think we are 90% agreed then ? :D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:27 pm 

once they get their heads out of the sand, look around and see what the real world is like, maybe just maybe they will come back to planet earth, and dump the anti British union knob, who gets paid when they dont. ;) ;)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:07 am 

Sorry but you are all wrong and do not understand the dispute, you have all fallen for the right wing NAZI Boris press.

By the way it's 46k and if you are jealous of the wages just apply for a job and see for yourself the criteria you have to reach just to get a job let alone work the night shift 12 hours through the night at the weekend, many people say stuff that at the first hurdle.

As for driverless trains the HMRI Her Majesty's Rail Inspector the for runner to the Office of Rail Regulations has ruled that driverless trains cannot be run on London Underground unless Passenger Edge Doors (PEDS)are installed at a minimum, that will cost Hundreds of millions and some platforms it cannot be done.

The Paris underground had driverless trains a few years ago and yes they did have a crash and yes people where killed, have you ever been on the Paris Metro, London Underground is nice compaired.

The blood will be on your hands, the people that forced this through like you and Boris.

I have been at work and in the morning have heard of three one-unders just imagine if those trains where driverless, lets just hope it doesn't ruin your suit on the way to work and this is just one of the many problems associated with a crumbling system that's had years of under investment.

Yes I do work on the Underground no I don't drive Tube Trains but I have done10+years ago this pissing contest you have with Crow just doesn't help, until people talk and treat us properly you will get people like Crow barking back. No I'm not in his union.

If it wasn't for the Unions many more people would suffer injuries and death on the railways and death does have a price, lets face it they would rather pay a few court orders a year than implement millions of pounds worth of training or safety equipment and this is simple way of explaining.

Merry Christmas

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:11 am 

Excellent, someone with the true facts :)

So, what exactly is the Union demand for working on Boxing Day that TfL won't accept ?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:02 am 

Uncle Festa wrote:
just apply for a job and see for yourself the criteria you have to reach just to get a job let alone work the night shift 12 hours through the night at the weekend, many people say stuff that at the first hurdle.

Uncle Festa; Firstly. please don't tar us all with the same brush as I am sympathetic to any union that sticks up for it's members (look back at my other posts). I also 100% support any union which is attempting to prevent mass job losses such as the automatic trains would inevitably lead to

However, you simply cannot claim that drivers deserve £46K (+ benefits) as they work at night and do 12hour shifts. There are thousands of semi skilled workers (especially in this part of London near LHR) who work similar and longer hours, so that is a pathetic attempt at justifying their salary package

I was in the fire service for 32 years. My colleagues still work long shifts (including Xmas day when train drivers are stuffing their faces like the rest of us!) & night shifts. When you talk of 'one unders', although I do not doubt the emotional trauma it causes the drivers, it's the fire service who often scrape the human remains and severed limbs into plastic bags and sheets. Meanwhile a firefighter's wage is more than £17K less than a tube driver - much more than that if you take into account train op's benefits such as free travel. So be careful when justifying this salary as it simply doesn't stand up to scrutiny or comparison.

The truth is that the RMT is one of just a handful of unions that can bring the UK to it's knees on day one of a strike and totally incapacitate this country within days. That is why they have been managed to negotiate such a generous pay settlement and it has nothing to do with the work carried out by the drivers.

I am not jealous of the drivers salary and I do support the RMT's position of ensuring their members get the best conditions of service and safe working environment - that's their job. But like the FBU, the RMT are a little trigger happy when it comes to resorting to industrial action. Hard fought rights like the ability to strike must be used responsibly.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:32 am 

You can blame privatisation for the salary for Train Operators, not everyone has the technical ability or the disapline to drive trains, they are complicated, using in tandem different mediums to work.

The Market Place Domminates wages and it the Market that sets the wages and they would if they could pay less but let's face it would you have a responsible dilligent person on the front of a train on say 15k a year? NO. By the way it's 30 days holiday a year and you loose your bank holidays apart from Xmas day.

I don't have to justify tube drivers salary I am not a tube driver it's simple economics.

Keep slagging off LUL staff and you will get people like Mr Crow in the media.

As for firemen they only work four days a week and have other jobs and two houses, don't bother trying to deni as I know one or two that live in Suffolk 4 days a week and work in london for the other 4, when I speak to them about the technical side of things they recon they have a powerfull jet wash to contend with and basically a lorry with a water pump.

its a prestige job that has hours and hours of doing nothing.

Ageism is now illegal so why don't you apply to LUL and see how you get on and let us all know.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:47 am 

Oh and Merry Christmas

Uncle festa

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:12 pm 

Uncle Festa wrote:

As for firemen they only work four days a week and have other jobs and two houses, don't bother trying to deni as I know one or two that live in Suffolk 4 days a week and work in london for the other 4, when I speak to them about the technical side of things they recon they have a powerfull jet wash to contend with and basically a lorry with a water pump.

At least I now know your level of intellect, so (in the interests of fairness) I won't bother to extend this debate any further

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:42 pm 

The whole tone towards Tube staff has been at the same level, not nice to receive it as well, perhaps if you didn't fool for the Boris press your Attitude would of been different.

Now lets try and have a cival conversation rather than beat people down because they earn more than you, the fact is before I started on TFL I earnt more by about 15 to 20k doing what I thought was a meaningless job.

I will debate further I do know two firemen and they do live out of the borough and work four on four off and yes they do have two jobs and live in two parts of the country.

Oh Merry Christmas

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:30 am 

I had an uncle who worked for London underground as a driver, he had one job all his working life, his son my cousin followed him ending up as Station master at Amersham or there abouts until emigrating to Oz this must have started around 1910 at a guess and my cousin around 1945, so must have had something going for it. ;) ;)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next