News, views & chat from the people of West London
Hillingdon, 
London Borough, News, Pictures, Chat
truth
MAIN INDEX | PHOTOS | HAYES | UXBRIDGE
+ + Check out the LATEST photos! + + JOIN THE DEBATES + + IT'S GOOD TO TALK! + +
WELCOME

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:28 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:56 pm 

My dad was rushed to A & E a couple of weeks ago. He thought he'd had, or was having, a stroke. He'd been washing up when the world tipped up and started spinning and he felt as if a force was pushing him over.

He grabbed hold of the sink with both hands, managed to get my mum (who he looks after) to bring him a phone and rang my sister in law who rushed over and immediately dialled 999. She could not prise him away from the sink, he was holding on so tight, and it took the paramedics considerable effort, so convinved was he that the whole world was tipping up.

I was asleep after a night shift and rushed over to the hospital in Surrey as soon as I heard a voicemail from my sister in law. Sitting next to him in A&E, I got googling and concluded he had severe vertigo (nauseau was a big component of his symptoms) and that this can be caused by a virus, so tried to reassure him he wasn't having a stroke and that he'd soon be feeling better.

The hospital got into full swing over the next couple of days with blood tests and all sorts of scans. A couple of days later, on a brief visit back to Hayes, I bumped in to the wonderful Dr Thomas, my own GP, from Kingshill Ave. I started to ask him about my dad's symptoms and he cut me short and said: "Vestibular Neuronitis".

He said there were all sorts of viruses flying around at the moment, not the usual flu but lots of other weird things. At last, we had a name to google, and Dr Thomas was right.

Anyway, three weeks later, he's only just getting back to normal, which is about right as all the info on Vestubular Neuronitis says there's a 3 to 6 week recovery time, and sometimes the symptoms can linger for months afterwards.

So.... if anyone on here suddenly feels very dizzy one day, it could be that!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:11 pm 

Glad he's on the mend Jon. I experienced a vertigo virus a few years ago,(not sure if it's the same,) and although nothing as bad as your Dad, it was still unpleasant. I've had bouts of it over the years and feel all lightheaded, especially if I look up high or down! So I really sympathise.
My brother in law has been really poorly with a similar thing, and said it's like having a tight band round his head!

Last edited by Pam on Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:40 am 

Glad that it's something that clears up and is known.

Better give him our best :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:56 pm 

should have seen me as I have invented a cure for no known illness. :| :roll:

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 6:02 pm 

I hope your Dad has fully recovered from this experience now, Josh.

I recognise the symptoms as I experienced the same thing a few years back. I had been knocked down outside by a big, beautiful, but excitable German Shepherd dog. I fell backwards and hit the back of my head on the kerb. I was only semi-conscious for a while and had treatment at hospital for the cut on the back of my head.

After this, possibly the next day, I also found myself going through a slow, sickening spinning sensation in my head and, like your Dad, had to hold on to the washbasin for dear life. That is when it happened first. I thought that my description of feeling I was falling off the edge of the world sounded silly, but you say your Dad experienced it in the same way. Hanging on, gripping tightly was all I could do. The nurses in A&E at the hospital saw me go through it again but, this time, standing up in the middle of the floor with nothing to hang on to. They rushed to help me and realised that I was experiencing something really unpleasant.

No name was given to what it was, but it went on for some weeks with the GP being called when standing up was impossible without the same feeling.

It was the most unpleasant and frightening thing to go through, and I sympathise with your Dad, or anyone else suffering the same thing. I thought it must have been the effects of concussion, but wonder now, if it was the same virus as you described here.

Last edited by Marian on Sun May 20, 2012 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 6:15 pm 

He's not totally over it. He's just ventured out in the car again for the first time since it happened.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 6:35 pm 

I'm really sorry to hear that, Josh.

Is he still on medication? I had tablets to take for a while but not sure if they helped or whether the vertigo wore off on its own. The slowness of the spinning sensation was petrifying so really hope that your Dad is not experiencing that in such a frightening way any more.

All good wishes to him and I hope he gets over it 100% and very soon.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:08 am 

In the early '70s my father had a similar occurrence.
I remember coming home from work and finding our Doctor attending to my father who was lying on the sofa clinging for dear life, absolutely petrified of falling off.
Anyway the doctor gave him an injection and I had to help the doctor carry my dad up to bed and again he was clinging on to us for all his worth.
It was diagnosed as vertigo and he recovered by the following day. But it was very frightening to witness.
Phil

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:32 am 

I had vertigo once. It was so weird but I thought I'd be OK to drive to work as I had a desk job and imagined I could sit at a desk all day with no problems.

The problem was that I got in the car and then the world started spinning, inside out and upside down and I had to go back home again. (so dangerous). My GP gave me pills but they didn't stop it - I hope I never get it again.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:35 pm 

Sunshine wrote:
I had vertigo once. It was so weird but I thought I'd be OK to drive to work as I had a desk job and imagined I could sit at a desk all day with no problems.

The problem was that I got in the car and then the world started spinning, inside out and upside down and I had to go back home again. (so dangerous). My GP gave me pills but they didn't stop it - I hope I never get it again.

They can be like that those Vauxhall Vertigo's