News, views & chat from the people of West London
Hillingdon, 
London Borough, News, Pictures, Chat
truth
MAIN INDEX | PHOTOS | HAYES | UXBRIDGE
+ + Check out the LATEST photos! + + JOIN THE DEBATES + + IT'S GOOD TO TALK! + +
WELCOME

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:25 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: First concert
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:30 am 

I well remember the first time I attended a symohony concert. It was "Tchaikovsky Night" at the proms, on Saurday 1st August 1959. I've been to many proms since but the details of this one I've not forgotten. The BBC Symphony Orhestra was conducted by Basil Cameron, the leader was Hugh Maguire, I was up in the gallery, the programme was a single sheet of paper because a printers' strike was on. The concert opened with the polonaise from "Eugene Onegin" and it ended with the 1812 overture with organ playing at the end. I remember the sheer excitement of hearing an orchstra live for the first time, instead of just on a radio, and this was before stereo radio. The experience was overpowering. Can you remember your first live concert?

Post subject: Re: First concert
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:55 pm 

I went to my first live orchestral concert during that time as well. It was also the Proms and I remember going there with some Mellow Lane friends. I can remember John Forrest and Barrie Oliver being there, and probably my sister would have been with me. I can't remember the music, just standing there listening and enjoying the whole new experience and seeing the Albert Hall, too.