News, views & chat from the people of West London
Hillingdon, 
London Borough, News, Pictures, Chat
truth
MAIN INDEX | PHOTOS | HAYES | UXBRIDGE
+ + Check out the LATEST photos! + + JOIN THE DEBATES + + IT'S GOOD TO TALK! + +
WELCOME

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:54 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1824 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 177, 178, 179, 180, 181, 182, 183  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:33 am 

Yesterday 'only' got to 26. 10 degrees cooler and very welcome

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:44 am 

Good morning and my apologies for not posting as often as I hoped to but it's a busy life down here on the South Coast !

After several days of cloud, drizzle and mist the sun finally broke through late yesterday afternoon and the temperatures climbed quite rapidly as a result. As you probably already know, we are about to be influenced by yet another ( very brief ) plume of warm air from the near continent on Thursday, and to me this seems to be forming a fairly regular pattern this summer down here in London and the South East.

Now admittedly I tend to seek out any sign of thunderstorms but this bulletin issued by ESTOFEX has particularly caught my eye.

http://www.estofex.org/

It's by no means certain but......some places in London and the South East may well see a lively storm or two Thursday evening into Friday morning. I'm keeping my fingers crossed

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:55 am 

Batten down the hatches .............

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:55 am 

If reports I am reading are to be believed, and I have no reason to doubt them, it sounds as though some folk in our region have had another quite spectacular display of natures fireworks this evening.

Ironically enough quite a few of those reports are coming from folk very close to where I used to live in north west London. ( Northwood ). Down here on the south coast nothing much happened apart from a huge classic anvil shaped storm cloud out in the English Channel Thursday afternoon, and a couple of rumbles of thunder locally around 5pm.

That said, for the 3rd time this summer I was able to sit out in my garden under clear starlit skies and witness distant lightning flashes from thunderstorms which were occurring 40-50 or more miles away.

Moley :-)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:44 am 

Moley strikes again :D

I checked the BBC and Accuweather apps yesterday evening and nothing.

Then, around midnight(ish) we had a thunder, lightning and really heavy downpour for about an hour on and off.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:28 am 

Kremmen wrote:
Moley strikes again :D

I checked the BBC and Accuweather apps yesterday evening and nothing.

Then, around midnight(ish) we had a thunder, lightning and really heavy downpour for about an hour on and off.

In fairness to the forecasters events like this are notoriously difficult to pin down but I take weather apps with a very large pinch of salt. The high resolution models were struggling to predict the outcome just a few hours ahead, let alone a few days.

Glad to hear you had some decent rainfall though Kremm, down here we had about 2 minutes of rain and this morning it's a return to slate grey skies, low cloud, drizzle and mist coming in off the sea. I can't remember the last time we had some proper garden soaking rainfall. Recent reports seem to confirm that some locations in East Anglia had over 2 inches of rain from the overnight storms, and some large hail thrown into the mix.

That very brief plume of warm air is now scooting off to the east of the UK so the weekend looks set for a return to about average temperatures in our region...21-23c ( 70-73f ), slightly cooler on the coast. It should remain dry for most of us, but I wouldn't rule out the occasional rogue shower.

I will try and update more often, but there is so much going on down here it's sometimes difficult to keep up ! Thanks as always for reading and posting.

Moley. 8-)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:17 pm 

Good evening.

I've been keeping an eye on the prospects for our region over the next few days and the one consistent factor has been the development of a low pressure system somewhere to the west/south west of the UK.

Every computer model I have been tracking for the last few days has thrown up a different outcome so for now I would go with the Met Office warnings issued earlier today. :

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weat ... 1437692400

Moley

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:10 am 

I'm staying in today as they have forecast persistent heavy rain.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:28 pm 

Greetings to anyone who still reads my somewhat random posts and my apologies for not updating more often. Since moving down here to the South Coast my life has changed, and I don't spend anywhere near as much as I used to staring at a computer screen !

Just a quick update though, and I see the BBC forecasts are starting to mention this. Midweek may well see some potentially quite severe weather heading up from the Bay of Biscay and Northern France and heading into the South West, Central Southern and South East England.

I'm posting this now because it's obviously peak holiday time and I want to make people aware of it. I will be keeping a close eye on this and updating as and when I get more information.

Thanks as always for reading and posting. :-)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:27 am 

The Met Office have issued severe weather warnings and I would suggest it's worth checking for further updates.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weat ... 1439420400

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1824 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 177, 178, 179, 180, 181, 182, 183  Next