News, views & chat from the people of West London
Hillingdon, 
London Borough, News, Pictures, Chat
truth
MAIN INDEX | PHOTOS | HAYES | UXBRIDGE
+ + Check out the LATEST photos! + + JOIN THE DEBATES + + IT'S GOOD TO TALK! + +
WELCOME

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:09 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1824 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 176, 177, 178, 179, 180, 181, 182, 183  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:10 pm 

Yesterday was very disappointing down here on the South Coast with mostly cloudy skies and a maximum temperature of just 14.9c. Today has seen a marked improvement with blue skies and temperatures on the rise, but again the strong wind has spoiled it somewhat.

The Met Office this morning issued a weather warning for London and South East for Friday, and it's well worth a look :

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weat ... ionName=se

In my experience it's quite unusual for them to issue such a quite strongly worded warning about an 'event' like this more than 48 hours ahead, but having trawled through my usual sources for all the available information, I'm beginning to see why they have.

Folk far more knowledgeable than me are taking this seriously, and saying it has the potential to be a severe weather event. Some are comparing it to June 2007 when a very similar set up produced widespread thunderstorms, torrential rain and flooding to many parts of the South East. It's certainly something I will be keeping an eye on.

Thanks for reading. Moley 8-)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:32 am 

I recall a yellow weather warning last Friday that came to nothing in the end.

Hope this one is similar.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:36 am 

Kremmen wrote:
I recall a yellow weather warning last Friday that came to nothing in the end.

Hope this one is similar.

Indeed that proved to be the case Kremmen. Two severe weather warnings that in the end produced nothing more than some very isolated thunderstorms, though I can see why the Met Office issued them.

Looking ahead, some of the computer models have for the last few days been suggesting a spell of very warm/hot weather building and extending across the near continent by the middle of next week, possibly reaching as far as the UK.

It's still too early to say how accurate these models will be, but there is certainly some potential for London and The South East to experience something of a 'heatwave' as we reach the middle of next week. Whilst it's not been too bad a start to summer in our region, temperatures have often been pegged back by strong winds from a northerly direction, that may be about to change, but not for a few days yet.

This weekend doesn't look too promising with low pressure to the north west of the UK. It could well be that temperatures are held back yet again. Best of the weather once again in London and The South East.

Beyond that, I will be watching the prospects for that potential warmth to build from the south next week and we may well see temperatures climbing to the dizzy heights of mid to upper 20's (C ) which in plain English is around 75-81f.

Some of the models are leaning to something even warmer than that. I have seen some suggestions we might even reach 32c ( 90f ) in parts of the South East, but I have my doubts and will update nearer the time.

Thanks as always for reading and posting.

Moley 8-)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:40 pm 

* Updated Wednesday June 15th @ 22:00 hours *

It makes a pleasant change to see a mainstream rag like the 'Daily Fail' provide some actual charts to back up their attention seeking headlines on this occasion :

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -week.html

There is now growing agreement between the computer models that next week may well herald a noticeable rise in temperatures, especially here in the South East as conditions conspire to draw a plume of very warm/hot air up from mainland Europe.

It's worth mentioning that the computer models often bounce one way or another, especially this far ahead but they have been fairly consistent for the last few days regarding this particular event.

IF.....and it's still a very big if, the models are correct we should start to see temperatures rise quite dramatically from Wednesday July 1st. The models are currently suggesting maximums of 33 - 35c
( 91 -95f ) across much of the South East for a couple of days. The July record maximum temperature is 36.5c ( 97.7f ) at Wisley on July 19th 2006. That record might just be under threat.

More updates to follow and thanks again for reading and posting.

Moley

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:01 am 

Good morning all and thanks for reading my posts.

Unless the models are hopelessly wrong ( which is always possible ) we are almost certainly in for a blast of hot air here in London and the South East next week.

Based on the current information available the predicted maximum temperatures are :

Tuesday June 30th : 29-30c

Wednesday July 1st : 32-33c

Thursday July 2nd : 35-36c

Friday July 3rd : 29-30c

Saturday/Sunday July 4th/5th : 33-34c

I still have my doubts but that's what the models are currently predicting.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:55 am 

Sounds pretty uncomfortable

Thank goodness I will be in northern Ireland for some of it, so should escape the 36C!!! (Its bound to be raining there :) )

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:31 am 

I'm going to sit indoors and take it easy for the rest of the week :D

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:29 am 

It's been officially confirmed by the Met Office earlier today that Heathrow has set a new record for the highest July temperature on record. 36.7c (98f).

It was a rather chilly 34c (93f) down here on the South Coast this afternoon. 8-)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:38 am 

As you know I have had a spreadsheet on the go since 2009. Same device so even if not that accurate the comparisons are:

Jul 2009 - 31.0
Jul 2010 - 32.3
Jun 2011 - 31.6
Jul 2012 - 30.2
Jul 2013 32.1
Jul 2014 - 30.5
Jul 2015 - 36.0

By quite a margin yesterday

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:27 am 

Kremmen wrote:
As you know I have had a spreadsheet on the go since 2009. Same device so even if not that accurate the comparisons are:

Jul 2009 - 31.0
Jul 2010 - 32.3
Jun 2011 - 31.6
Jul 2012 - 30.2
Jul 2013 32.1
Jul 2014 - 30.5
Jul 2015 - 36.0

By quite a margin yesterday

Thanks for that info Kremmen, I hadn't realised just how exceptional yesterdays record breaking temperature at Heathrow was.

Today ( Thursday ) has seen a return to slightly 'cooler' temperatures with St James Park in London reporting the highest maximum of 26.9c/80f. The Met Office have issued a severe weather warning for thunderstorms and heavy rain possibly affecting our region from Friday evening.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weat ... ionName=se

Moley 8-)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1824 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 176, 177, 178, 179, 180, 181, 182, 183  Next