News, views & chat from the people of West London
Hillingdon, 
London Borough, News, Pictures, Chat
truth
MAIN INDEX | PHOTOS | HAYES | UXBRIDGE
+ + Check out the LATEST photos! + + JOIN THE DEBATES + + IT'S GOOD TO TALK! + +
WELCOME

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:31 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Amateur Weather Station
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:10 pm 

Moley

A friend on another forum wants a weather station with all the usual stuff and wind and rain etc and also wants to be able to download the data to a PC.

The array of units available plus the good and bad reviews is confusing. He's looking to spend about £100. What's a good reliable make with a good outdoor to indoor signal?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:49 pm 

Hi Kremmen, apologies for the delay replying, I have only just seen your post.

I can thoroughly recommend this weather station from Maplins, based on personal experience. I have owned one for about the last 5 years and it has proved to be remarkably reliable and accurate if positioned well**.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/black-usb-wir ... ntre-n96gy

Rather than use the software that comes with it though download this to record the data. It is a free download:

http://sandaysoft.com/products/cumulus

** Re positioning. Ideally the temperature sensor should be placed approximately 2 metres above ground in as shaded a location as possible, and the wind sensor as high as possible. For the average amateur like me it fits the bill perfectly.

Hope this helps.

Regards. Martin.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:24 pm 

Thanks Martin, I'll pass it on. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:10 am 

I can imagine that's a really fascinating hobby.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:54 am 

I've got a ClimeMet 9088 which doesn't include any rain or wind sensors. Fascinating sometimes to watch weather fronts coming in.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:14 pm 

Kremmen wrote:
I've got a ClimeMet 9088 which doesn't include any rain or wind sensors. Fascinating sometimes to watch weather fronts coming in.

I hadn't heard of that one Kremmen so googled it. It's quite a nice bit of kit but for just a few quid more the Maplins station does include the rain and wind sensors, if that's what your friend was looking for. It's very easy to install as well.

I agree with you and Jon about it being a fascinating hobby. I don't know if you are already aware of these websites Kremmen/Jon but these are the ones I use most often for various observations, and they are all pretty much 'live'......by which I mean they have a lapse of approximately 15-30 minutes. Have a play around with them and let me know what you think.

1/ Sat radar: http://www.sat24.com/en/gb

2/ Rain today: http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

3/ Lightning Maps: http://www.lightningmaps.org/realtime?lang=en

4/ General weather obs: http://www.xcweather.co.uk/GB/observations

Regards. Moley 8-)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:37 am 

After much tooing and froing he settled on the Origon Scientific WMR 80, what's your thoughts on that one?

I've had quite a few OS devices in the past and they've all been OK. Mainly radio controlled clocks.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:51 am 

Oh no! The Met Office have said the recent heatwave is a sign of increasingly long hot summers we're going to have to get used to from now on. We all know what that means.... reach for the brollies.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:48 pm 

Kremmen wrote:
After much tooing and froing he settled on the Origon Scientific WMR 80, what's your thoughts on that one?

I've had quite a few OS devices in the past and they've all been OK. Mainly radio controlled clocks.

I can't really comment on that particular device Kremmen because I have no experience of it. It seems ok judging by the reviews but personally I would still opt for the Maplins weather station for no other reason than you can easily ( and cheaply ) buy replacement parts in the unlikely event any of them fail.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:49 pm 

Jon wrote:
Oh no! The Met Office have said the recent heatwave is a sign of increasingly long hot summers we're going to have to get used to from now on. We all know what that means.... reach for the brollies.

Wrong thread Jon ?!