News, views & chat from the people of West London
Hillingdon, 
London Borough, News, Pictures, Chat
truth
MAIN INDEX | PHOTOS | HAYES | UXBRIDGE
+ + Check out the LATEST photos! + + JOIN THE DEBATES + + IT'S GOOD TO TALK! + +
WELCOME

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:15 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: WINDOWS 10
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:41 pm 

Hi all I just upgraded to.Image
..First impression,I like it.I still have my windows 7,with the addition of endless apps.It boots up a lot faster.
Please -- add your experience with win 10

Post subject: Re: WINDOWS 10
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:55 pm 

Very happy with Windows 10 EXCEPT..... I have an external USB sound card with subwoofer output and the sub refuses to work in Windows 10 :-(

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:02 am 

Windows 10 sends quite a bit of "anonymous" data to M$. There are tips around to help reduce this.

My main concern is that M$ won't state clearly what happens in a years time when the free offer ends. Many publications have asked but none have received a clear answer which is suspicious. Rumours are that their primary goal is to introduce a monthly subscription for the normal 'patch tuesday' updates and upgrades.

I'm hanging off with Win7 because that is totally free till 2020.

Come 2019 when my PC is due for renewal then I will have no choice.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:46 pm 

QUOTE "It's worth repeating, Microsoft isn't giving Windows away for free to everyone forever starting with Windows 10. The one-year free upgrade promotion is limited to consumers and small business users. Windows 10 and its subsequent updates will be free only for "the life of the device" on which the OS is running.

"Servicing" is the key word here. Microsoft has outlined three servicing options for Windows 10.
There will be an "active branch" of users who get both security and feature updates right away.

There will be a "current branch" for those who want security updates right away and new feature updates after some unspecified period of time.

And there will be a "long-term servicing branch" that receives only security updates (and no feature updates) for some unspecified, but likely fairly lengthy, period of time."

The long-term servicing branch will probably do me .and thats FREE

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Im here Image

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:59 pm 

Unfortunately Microsoft will not respond to any queries to what is considered the life of the device.

Some have asked if even an out of support graphics card will stop updates, but they won't answer.

Highly suspicious and why I'm sticking to Win7 for the foreseeable future.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:50 am 

I wasn't aware of any of this stuff about Windows not being free.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:49 am 

You have to ask why they are resorting to underhand tactics to get as many onto Win10 as possible in the first year. Has to be a reason.

They have on 2 occasions put the Win10 upgrade into 'optional updates' which isn't the viewable tab in the updates window. What's worse is that they are putting a tick in it so if you're not wary you will get Win10 with your normal patch Tuesday updates.

As a result I have changed my option to just 'inform me that updates are available' so I can vet what's in the list and make sure that the Win10 upgrade one isn't ticked.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:55 am 

I see Bill Gates has popped up at the climate summit which isn't really about the weather at all but about building World Government. Bet Windows 10 is sending heaps back to Microsoft's servers.... maybe even everything on your hard drive.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:55 am 

The latest version of CCleaner apparently has a few tools to help block some info getting out. They reckon to use some of the blocks with caution and watch if your Win10 starts misbehaving as a result.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:32 pm 

After 2 weeks I can now say Win 10 boots up in ½ the time it took to boot up win 7