News, views & chat from the people of West London
Hillingdon, 
London Borough, News, Pictures, Chat
truth
MAIN INDEX | PHOTOS | HAYES | UXBRIDGE
+ + Check out the LATEST photos! + + JOIN THE DEBATES + + IT'S GOOD TO TALK! + +
WELCOME

It is currently Mon Oct 05, 2026 12:43 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 4:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:08 am
Posts: 1294
Location: Floating on a cloud
Badminton Girl wrote:
Just want to start a positive thread about what's good about the Hillingdon Borough, as a relative newbie to the area, I'm always looking for new places to explore or new activities to get involved with.

What do you think is good?


It would be a shame if this topic drew a lot of negative responses. The problem is some of us have resided in the Borough for a very long time and seen a lot of changes, many of them for the worse. it would be interesting to hear your take on things as you are a newbie though, seeing things through a fresh pair of eyes and all that BG.

My personal thoughts on whats good about the Borough ?

1/ The libraries, and the fact that while many councils are cutting or closing theirs, Hillingdon have managed to not only keep the majority open, but have actually refurbed most of them.

2/ Ruislip Lido. Shame about the lack of parking when its busy, but overall its a pleasant place to while away a few hours any time of the year.

3/ Uxbridge swimming pool. I haven't been there for more years than I care to mention, but the fact its not only been saved, but also restored and improved is no bad thing.

4/ The fact that whilst LBH is within Greater London, with mostly good transport links into the Capital, its also right on the doorstep of open countryside and rural areas.

5/ This website

Thats my list for now. Moley 8-)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 9:06 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:17 am
Posts: 464
Thank you Moley for you input I too have a list and it's growing all the time but for now here it goes

1. Has to be this forum, and I've mentioned it to a colleague at work who has just moved to the area, and neighbours who hadn't heard of it so hopefully new posters will join.

2. Number of local sports venues although expensive to become a member

3. Love being near the M4 for both work and getting to Wales

4. The countryside walks and wildlife available little Britain, Ruislip lido, and the canal

5. The Malt Shovel & Coy Carp are my too favourite pubs

I will update when I've explored further


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 12:11 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:05 pm
Posts: 2807
Thanks Badminton Girl. I do have a stock of little cards with details of the site if people would like to keep any handy for handing to people.

Will try to compile my own list of what's good about the borough. There is so much.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 12:35 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:17 am
Posts: 464
Jon wrote:
Thanks Badminton Girl. I do have a stock of little cards with details of the site if people would like to keep any handy for handing to people.

Will try to compile my own list of what's good about the borough. There is so much.



Cool must meet up for coffee next time I'm working at home,and pick up some cards then.

Look forward to your list


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 10:05 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:10 pm
Posts: 1461
Jon wrote:
Thanks Badminton Girl. I do have a stock of little cards with details of the site if people would like to keep any handy for handing to people.

I could do with a few more as I have given out what I had Jon. :( ;)

_________________
Its not always the biggest and the bestest, its them that make the least mistakes.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 11:49 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:36 pm
Posts: 888
We should find out where they're meeting up for coffee Jim and go and gatecrash :lol:

I've lived in the borough for a very long time and it's home! I like it here and have no intention of moving out. Mind you, if we get any more noisy students living next door I might think about it .......


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 2:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:10 pm
Posts: 1461
I was a snip of a kid when we moved in, that was 1938, seen a few changes, in that time, have been thinking of moving into the country, or the seaside, since the fifties, but methinks the time has passed to actually do it now, so will sit back and moan about how it is now, to what it once was, an old mans privilege. as apparently we are not happy unless we are miserable. ;) ;)

_________________
Its not always the biggest and the bestest, its them that make the least mistakes.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 4:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:17 am
Posts: 464
Sunshine wrote:
We should find out where they're meeting up for coffee Jim and go and gatecrash :lol:

I've lived in the borough for a very long time and it's home! I like it here and have no intention of moving out. Mind you, if we get any more noisy students living next door I might think about it .......



We should have a west London chat coffee meet up it would be nice to put a face to the poster


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 9:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:36 pm
Posts: 888
It would be nice - I've met a few people over the years who post on here but it would be fun to meet up again.

I'm going to wave to Pam tomorrow as I drive along the M3 (that's the closest we ever get to meeting :lol: )


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 11:34 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 7:08 pm
Posts: 2
1 We don't have to have 5 different bins for our rubbish
2 We have a lot of green space in terms of parks, woods, and Ruislip Lido
3 Great transport links
- road : A40, M4 giving quick access to the M25
- rail : Chiltern and Great Western lines
- tube : Metropolitan, central, picadilly
- air : Heathrow and Northolt)
4 The Hillingdon Trail and Celandine Trail
5 The Grand Union Canal
6 Some good schools


Last edited by progressingnicely on Sat May 19, 2012 11:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  




LOCAL RESIDENTS AND BUSINESS: YOU CAN ADVERTISE TOTALLY FREE OF CHARGE IN OUR ADS SECTIONS!!

ARTICLES WANTED, ARTICLES FOR SALE, PLUMBERS, PIZZAS, ELECTRICIANS, ESTATE AGENTS, ACCOMMODATION WANTED OR FOR RENT, FLATS, ROOMS, HOLIDAYS & TRAVEL, JOBS AGENCIES, TRADESMEN & WOMEN, MOTORS, DRIVING LESSONS, HGV TRAINING, VOLUNTARY GROUPS... JUST REGISTER AND POST YOUR FREE AD, IT'S THAT SIMPLE. NO CATCH! TELL YOUR FRIENDS.

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group

London Borough of Hillingdon Chat - Main Index

Christmas music Merelbeke