News, views & chat from the people of West London
Hillingdon, 
London Borough, News, Pictures, Chat
truth
MAIN INDEX | PHOTOS | HAYES | UXBRIDGE
+ + Check out the LATEST photos! + + JOIN THE DEBATES + + IT'S GOOD TO TALK! + +
WELCOME

It is currently Fri Oct 02, 2026 6:53 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Proud of Hillingdon....
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:22 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:05 pm
Posts: 2807
I'm all for good old fashioned Civic Pride, but I've just had the latest Hillingdon People through the door with a local supplement, full of utopian pictures of good citizens excitedly expressing their unfettered joy and pride at living locally. Has their been a Maoist revolution? Pass the bucket someone.

(PS Are local elections coming up I wonder......??)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:10 pm
Posts: 1461
Jon wrote:
I'm all for good old fashioned Civic Pride, but I've just had the latest Hillingdon People through the door with a local supplement, full of utopian pictures of good citizens excitedly expressing their unfettered joy and pride at living locally. Has their been a Maoist revolution? Pass the bucket someone. (PS Are local elections coming up I wonder......??)

I suppose the new locals are full of Civic pride that has been laid on for them, as most of the locals are new to the area and compared to where they came from have never had it so good, whereby the original hayedsweedgnawer has seen so many new bye laws and changes the place is so far removed from what Hayes was all about, Industry has moved on, the town closed off and run down, too many people too few amenities. :( :( :(

_________________
Its not always the biggest and the bestest, its them that make the least mistakes.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:47 am
Posts: 2873
Location: Dog House
Agree with that :)

_________________
Lets be careful out there !


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:54 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:10 pm
Posts: 1061
Location: Farnborough, Hampshire.
Jon wrote:
I'm all for good old fashioned Civic Pride, but I've just had the latest Hillingdon People through the door with a local supplement, full of utopian pictures of good citizens excitedly expressing their unfettered joy and pride at living locally. Has their been a Maoist revolution? Pass the bucket someone.

(PS Are local elections coming up I wonder......??)


:lol: :lol: :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:51 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:42 pm
Posts: 26
Jim has my vote..

You going for it this time Jim :?:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:15 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:14 pm
Posts: 659
I have to say that in these days of apparent austerity, do we really need a copy Hillingdon People in one of the thousands of homes in the Borough? This expensive looking glossy news sheet must cost a fortune in editorial, printing & distribution, and this particular issue (with it's additional removable local ward section) does look suspiciously like a political propaganda newsletter (which is obviously illegal for tax payers to fund).

This is the 21st century. Perhapsthese publications should be made available from the LBH's interweb site, or available upon request via e-mail. In addition, I have no objection if politically neutral hard copies are made available at Libraries and other LBH publicly accessible buildings.

If LBH are really pushing the 'green' agenda, they should bin the Hillingdon People and soon. However, it seems like votes are more important when it comes to election time


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:18 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:05 pm
Posts: 2807
I would hope it's self financing, though there aren't many ads in it so I doubt it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:10 pm
Posts: 1461
All in all, Hillingdon is a great place to live when you consider the alternatives, OK we knock the Council everybody does that, whatever Borough they live, Hillingdon I do believe have got it right on most things, you only need to see Camden, or Islingdon to see that, the Borough is the first place immigrants enter via the airport, ilegal or otherwise, look at Hillingdon as the yardstick as to what the whole Country is about, many stay, some move on, yet despite the fluid situation it stays pretty stable, Riots are what happens in other places, streets are swept, all the roads have lighting, the one thing everybody notices, and the same with most Boroughs, not many regular plod, but thats more national than local, unless some third party comes up for election, in Hayes would sooner go with what we have than go back to the bad old days. ;) :)

_________________
Its not always the biggest and the bestest, its them that make the least mistakes.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:57 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:17 am
Posts: 464
jim wrote:
All in all, Hillingdon is a great place to live when you consider the alternatives, OK we knock the Council everybody does that, whatever Borough they live, Hillingdon I do believe have got it right on most things, you only need to see Camden, or Islingdon to see that, the Borough is the first place immigrants enter via the airport, ilegal or otherwise, look at Hillingdon as the yardstick as to what the whole Country is about, many stay, some move on, yet despite the fluid situation it stays pretty stable, Riots are what happens in other places, streets are swept, all the roads have lighting, the one thing everybody notices, and the same with most Boroughs, not many regular plod, but thats more national than local, unless some third party comes up for election, in Hayes would sooner go with what we have than go back to the bad old days. ;) :)


I agree, I found Hillingdon very helpful when you first move to the area. I love the Hillingdon Card.

The recycling scheme isn't too rigorous and they are very good at providing new recycle bags very frequently.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:13 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:10 pm
Posts: 1061
Location: Farnborough, Hampshire.
As most of you know I am a Hayes girl born & bread. Except for one who was born at home the rest of my children were born in Hillingdon Hospital. I lived in West Drayton from 1961, the last house for 28 years till we moved to Hampshire in 2004.
But although it's taken me a fair while to get used to being here, I'll never regret moving. We lived in a nice road in West Drayton, but everything was going downhill. When we go back to visit anyone in the area we see how much worse it's become. One of my sons lives in Hillingdon and he always says how much nicer it is here. Another son moved here in 2009, and his inlaws followed from Harlington this year. It's very sad.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  




LOCAL RESIDENTS AND BUSINESS: YOU CAN ADVERTISE TOTALLY FREE OF CHARGE IN OUR ADS SECTIONS!!

ARTICLES WANTED, ARTICLES FOR SALE, PLUMBERS, PIZZAS, ELECTRICIANS, ESTATE AGENTS, ACCOMMODATION WANTED OR FOR RENT, FLATS, ROOMS, HOLIDAYS & TRAVEL, JOBS AGENCIES, TRADESMEN & WOMEN, MOTORS, DRIVING LESSONS, HGV TRAINING, VOLUNTARY GROUPS... JUST REGISTER AND POST YOUR FREE AD, IT'S THAT SIMPLE. NO CATCH! TELL YOUR FRIENDS.

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group

London Borough of Hillingdon Chat - Main Index

Christmas music Merelbeke