WESTLONDONCHAT.COM
https://www.westlondonchat.com/

Comet Going Going.......... Gone
https://www.westlondonchat.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=722
Page 1 of 3

Author:  geezer466 [ Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:10 pm ]
Post subject:  Comet Going Going.......... Gone

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20164228

Quote:
Comet, the electrical retailer, is close to going into administration, putting about 6,000 jobs at risk, reports say.

The company, bought by private equity firm OpCapita last year for just £2, has struggled from the downturn in consumer spending.


Anyone want to hazard a guess as to what the differences are between Comet and say Amazon? Except of course the obvious one being one is an online retailer the other has many Hight Street and retail park shops!!

Just another example as to why our High Streets and retail parks are changing beyond all recognition....

Author:  Kremmen [ Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:27 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Comet Going Going.......... Not Quite Yet

I've been into Comet just to physically see the goods before ordering online.

Even the Comet stores won't compete with their own online price which seems silly to me. It annoys the sales people when I explain exactly what I'm doing.

Author:  geezer466 [ Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:32 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Comet Going Going.......... Not Quite Yet

Comets biggest problem is as is the same for any High Street retailer is they have to pay Business rates and tax. let alone utility charges to heat their huge sheds and wages for the army of sales staff they have. The likes of Amazon do not and as has been proved lately due to fancy off shore schemes are paying less and less tax.

The High Street simply cannot compete and the situation is going to get worse.

I must admit I bought a hi def Samsung TV from Comet last year but that was simply because I wanted to use some spare cash I had. If this was not the case I would have bought online for the extra consumer protection is gives you as well as the lower prices.

Author:  Kremmen [ Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:50 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Comet Going Going.......... Not Quite Yet

Finally gone bust I see

Author:  chris_guest [ Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:39 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Comet Going Going.......... Gone

oooo cheap goods going must pop over to mine and have a look whats on offer

Author:  jane [ Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:42 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Comet Going Going.......... Gone

We've always been and told the Hayes store what we can buy online for and they match the price !

Author:  Jon [ Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:12 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Comet Going Going.......... Gone

Very sad... I'm reading this outside a Costa staring at a Comets!

Author:  Kremmen [ Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:47 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Comet Going Going.......... Gone

When we needed a new washing machine and fridge freezer last year I used John Lewis online.

Better price, longer initial guarantee and a better service. Arrived when they said they would, unpacked them and took the packing away.

Author:  jim [ Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:17 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Comet Going Going.......... Gone

Best bet is John Lewis you wont get cheaper, or a better service, 8-) 8-)

Author:  SOT [ Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:19 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Comet Going Going.......... Gone

I stopped shopping at Comet years ago. Their customer service was non existent as it consisted of a swarm of cocky commission led salesmen rushing you as you walked in. If you took too long to buy, they get the hump. If you wanted a £9.99 kettle, they'd treat you like shite and if you asked them a technical question they'd just read the label on the appliance.

I have used Euronics (proper sales staff from an independent shop with a franchised image) or - as Jim says, John Lewis. Quite often you get a 2 year warranty from JL and staff who have been trained, polite and speak English as their first language,

I notice Dixons shares rallied today. I reckon if I had any, I would probably sell them now as the only way is down with electrical retail now the www is king

Page 1 of 3 All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/