WESTLONDONCHAT.COM
https://www.westlondonchat.com/

Shami Chakrabati - Liberty
https://www.westlondonchat.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=728
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Marian [ Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:17 pm ]
Post subject:  Shami Chakrabati - Liberty

Shami Chakrabati has always impressed me with her unshaking belief in everything she speaks about. She is always ready with a positive answer and never deterred whenever she is questioned quite fiercely, sometimes, on what she believes in. She has made many appearances on Question Time and proves every time that she has so much knowledge and understanding of the subjects she speaks about and I always find her contribution so interesting. Last night she spoke out on how difficult it is for women to be treated equally and the harder struggle it is for women to gain a place in the field of interest they may have worked hard to succeed in.

Women need people like her to stand up for Women's Rights, Human Rights etc. and, even if at times, we don't agree or even understand, she is at least there as strong-minded, a great speaker.

I wonder if anyone knows if Shami Chakrabati was, in fact, a member of the panel of the Leveson Enquiry?

Also, if she was the founder of Liberty and if not, who was?

Thankyou,
Marian

Author:  geezer466 [ Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:47 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Shami Chakrabati - Liberty

Liberty was formed albeit called something else in 1934..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Council_for_Civil_Liberties

Contains all the information and more which you seek......

Author:  Marian [ Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:37 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Shami Chakrabati - Liberty

Ah, thankyou very much Geezer466. There is a lot for me to study there. I can't see anything about her being on the panel of the Leveson enquiry, though. Not that that is my main interest but would still like to know. I watched quite a lot of it but didn't see her at the times I viewed.

I have also been looking to find out something about Ole Hanson who I think was linked with Liberty some time ago.

It looks as if Shami didn't found Liberty but became Director in 1993. I'm sure that she has done a lot to bring Liberty more into the public-eye. I hadn't known that Harriet Harman had been legal officer from 1978-82, or that she and Patricia Hewitt had been there as representatives when the European Courts of Human Rights was in existence before the later Human Rights laws came into effect.

I have been enlightened by reading the page you directed me to and hadn't known that the NCCL was, in fact, later to become Liberty.

It is all very interesting and so thankyou very much
Marian :)

Author:  geezer466 [ Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:34 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Shami Chakrabati - Liberty

Marian wrote:
Ah, thankyou very much Geezer466. There is a lot for me to study there. I can't see anything about her being on the panel of the Leveson enquiry, though. Not that that is my main interest but would still like to know. I watched quite a lot of it but didn't see her at the times I viewed.

I have also been looking to find out something about Ole Hanson who I think was linked with Liberty some time ago.

It looks as if Shami didn't found Liberty but became Director in 1993. I'm sure that she has done a lot to bring Liberty more into the public-eye. I hadn't known that Harriet Harman had been legal officer from 1978-82, or that she and Patricia Hewitt had been there as representatives when the European Courts of Human Rights was in existence before the later Human Rights laws came into effect.

I have been enlightened by reading the page you directed me to and hadn't known that the NCCL was, in fact, later to become Liberty.

It is all very interesting and so thankyou very much
Marian :)


Wiki is an excellent resource but some caution is advised as it is written by volunteers and as such may reflect personal views rather than salient facts.

If you search the same site with the persons names you should find pages dedicated to each.

Author:  Marian [ Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:26 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Shami Chakrabati - Liberty

You are so helpful. Thankyou so much. I will try to check the wikipedia information out on other sites if I can. I expect there will be a lot to see on the Leveson Enquiry site when I go there but maybe there will be a list of panel members separate.

I said that I thought Shami Chakrabati spoke out well in Question Time and interviews, and so to add, I also thought Louise Mench spoke well at the enquiry as she was not afraid to ask tricky questions either, as I saw it, but now she is off to America, I believe.

Thankyou again
Marian

Author:  Jon [ Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:28 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Shami Chakrabati - Liberty

I agree with her on a lot of things, but not everything. She occasionally champions causes I don't agree with, but on other occasions is very brave and eloquent in defence of freedoms.

Author:  Marian [ Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:26 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Shami Chakrabati - Liberty

Agreed. Shami Chakrabati seems to know so much to enable her to speak confidently on many issues. My main interest is when she speaks on the subject of Women's Rights, Civil and Human Rights, but she speaks in an interesting way and very fervently on other issues even though she must know that not everyone will agree. I would try not to miss any programme or interview if she is taking part. :)

Author:  Marian [ Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:34 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Shami Chakrabati - Liberty

Oops .. I am sorry I said that Shami Chakrabati became Director of Liberty in 1993 when I meant to say 2003. Apologies for my mistake which I have just noticed.

Marian

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/