jim wrote:
talking of tests, when I put in for mine in 1948 was given a day there and then even asked if I prefered morning or afternoon took it a few days later in a 3 ton square nose Bedford lorry, a couple of months later applied for my group G test ( motor bike ) that was only a week and done that at Isleworth now the strange thing I am still licenced to ride a motorcycle unlimited cc and have not been on one for must be fifty od years.

My motorcycle test was out the camp gate down the road for half a mile all the way around the roundabout and then back into camp. Did the slow ride and emergency stop and that was it.
Did it in the evening after I had passed my class 1 HGV in the afternoon was one of those small bedford tasker with a 16foot trailer, real pig to reverse on the manoeuvre test.
A few of us all passed on the same day were being fast tracked for a job they had in mind (think it was a tanker drivers strike) so needless to say the NAFFI was well attended that night.. It was also around the time when they were doing the Yorkie adverts on the TV so the NAFFI ran out of those as well.