News, views & chat from the people of West London
Hillingdon, 
London Borough, News, Pictures, Chat
truth
MAIN INDEX | PHOTOS | HAYES | UXBRIDGE
+ + Check out the LATEST photos! + + JOIN THE DEBATES + + IT'S GOOD TO TALK! + +
WELCOME

It is currently Sat Oct 03, 2026 10:42 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:33 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:09 am
Posts: 463
I was at Hillingdon Hosp today ......... appointments ran late so I was there just over 2 hours ....... £5.00 parking fee :-(

_________________
I do not suffer fools !!!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:44 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:47 am
Posts: 2873
Location: Dog House
If I'm taking the wife we use the blue badge. If I'm going for myself then I use the buses. After driving 11K miles a year it's quite a nice change to get a bus and view the world instead of the car in front :)

E6 - U4, U4 - E6. Costs just over £4 on the Oyster Card and no parking hassles = proper job :D

_________________
Lets be careful out there !


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:08 am
Posts: 1294
Location: Floating on a cloud
Sunshine wrote:
I was amazed when we got charged £2.40 for parking this afternoon. We were there for one hour


That would cost £3.40 at Mt Vernon


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:08 am
Posts: 1294
Location: Floating on a cloud
jane wrote:
I was at Hillingdon Hosp today ......... appointments ran late so I was there just over 2 hours ....... £5.00 parking fee :-(



And there-in lies part of the problem Jane. There is no way of telling if your appt is going to run late or not. More often than not they do, so rather than risk a parking fine you are more or less forced into paying an exhorbitant £5.00 which covers you for up to 12 hours. Ridiculous, nay scandalous.

Why is the new company now running the car parks at Mt Vernon ( and I presume Hillingdon Hospital ) not operating the system used at town centre car parks such as Watford and Harrow which seem to work perfectly well ? IE: You obtain a ticket upon entry, and pay on exit, the amount paid being dependant on your length of stay.

At least when shopping you can choose how long you wish to stay and consequently how much you are willing to pay to park. Not so with hospital visits/appointments, you have no such no choice. It is out of your control. The operators of these car parks clearly recognise this fact and are cashing in on it. The local health authority should be ashamed of themselves for allowing this to happen.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:36 pm
Posts: 888
Hillingdon does operate that system and you pay as you come out of the hospital. I don't know about Mount Vernon. The hospital I needed to go to charge for parking even if you have a Blue Badge.

I drove my son to a private hospital in Bushey a couple of months ago and the parking was free there. They even gave us free tea or coffee :D


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:08 am
Posts: 1294
Location: Floating on a cloud
Mount Vernon Hospital parking now operates a pay up front scheme/scam, so you have to guess how long you will be there. Most folk are now more or less forced to pay the £5.00 charge for up to 12 hours, because they have no idea how long they might be there for an appointment. Anything over 2 hours is £5.00.

With all due respect, I have never really understood why Blue Badge holders should be automatically entitled to free parking. I fully accept that parking for Blue Badge holders should be the most accessible means of getting from A to B., and if that entitles them to park on single or double yellow lines thats fine. But why should it automatically be free ? Being disabled does not neccessirally equate to being poor financially. Just a thought


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:06 pm
Posts: 1307
Moley wrote:
jane wrote:
I was at Hillingdon Hosp today ......... appointments ran late so I was there just over 2 hours ....... £5.00 parking fee :-(



And there-in lies part of the problem Jane. There is no way of telling if your appt is going to run late or not. More often than not they do, so rather than risk a parking fine you are more or less forced into paying an exhorbitant £5.00 which covers you for up to 12 hours. Ridiculous, nay scandalous.

Why is the new company now running the car parks at Mt Vernon ( and I presume Hillingdon Hospital ) not operating the system used at town centre car parks such as Watford and Harrow which seem to work perfectly well ? IE: You obtain a ticket upon entry, and pay on exit, the amount paid being dependant on your length of stay.

At least when shopping you can choose how long you wish to stay and consequently how much you are willing to pay to park. Not so with hospital visits/appointments, you have no such no choice. It is out of your control. The operators of these car parks clearly recognise this fact and are cashing in on it. The local health authority should be ashamed of themselves for allowing this to happen.



The parking operator in full knowledge people will worry about appointments over running prices the time slots accordingly.....

They are simply trying to maximize revenue.

I rarely visit hospitals (thankfully) what are the status of these so called parking firms? Are they the same as the supermarket and McD chancers or do they (like local authority car parks) have the ability to really fine you?

There will always be an opportunity to appeal an overdue penalty (if it has been correctly levied in the first place), the hospital running late and keeping you beyond your allotted parking time (at no fault of yours) would be grounds for appeal.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:36 pm
Posts: 888
Moley, I wasn't complaining about paying for car parking (even though I have a Blue Badge). I'm just grateful that I can use the disabled bays (they're often empty and near the hospital entrance)

I'm happy to pay for services I use (I just wish the parking charges weren't so expensive)


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 12 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  




LOCAL RESIDENTS AND BUSINESS: YOU CAN ADVERTISE TOTALLY FREE OF CHARGE IN OUR ADS SECTIONS!!

ARTICLES WANTED, ARTICLES FOR SALE, PLUMBERS, PIZZAS, ELECTRICIANS, ESTATE AGENTS, ACCOMMODATION WANTED OR FOR RENT, FLATS, ROOMS, HOLIDAYS & TRAVEL, JOBS AGENCIES, TRADESMEN & WOMEN, MOTORS, DRIVING LESSONS, HGV TRAINING, VOLUNTARY GROUPS... JUST REGISTER AND POST YOUR FREE AD, IT'S THAT SIMPLE. NO CATCH! TELL YOUR FRIENDS.

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group

London Borough of Hillingdon Chat - Main Index

Christmas music Merelbeke